4.25.2007

Francis Bok

I'm really happy that I go to a school that seems to always book good speakers. Francis Bok was the one that impacted me the most, followed by Tim Wise. But the difference is obvious. Both speakers spoke about oppressed groups, but one was actually the oppressed. Bok's experiences are something that I believe Americans can't fully comprehend. Yes, we've all heard the stories, and know the history, but we don't still live in that state of slaverly and injustice. There is not a day in my life that I have thought that I would be fleeing from someone, let alone be enslaved or mistreated for something that I had no control over.

Apart from that, his speech and other discussions and events I've been to that involve the Sudan and the increasingly devastating situation have made me feel that we need to do something to help. At the same time, not being able to connect with Bok on an experience level makes it hard for us to understand the importance of these ongoing tragedies. I hope he tours and continues to encourage people to care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home